About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Mercy Corps has been operating in Ethiopia since 2004. In partnership with civil society organizations, academic institutions, private sector, and the government, Mercy Corps Ethiopia has reached more than five million Ethiopians with interventions to save lives and build secure livelihoods. Our programs emphasize market-driven solutions, reinforce social bonds, and help communities build resilience to the impacts of climate change. Currently in six regional states – Afar, Amhara, Gambella, Oromia, Somali, and South Nations, Nationalities and People’s Region (SNNPR), and in Dire Dawa Administration and the capital city of Ethiopia, Addis Ababa – Mercy Corps Ethiopia is driven by the mission to contribute the emergence of a peaceful, resilient, and prosperous Ethiopia which is inclusive of youth and women. Our strategic directions focus in promoting inclusive and dynamic markets; promoting peace and social cohesion through strengthening formal/informal governance structures and citizen engagement; improved natural resource governance; and integrated humanitarian response.
The Mercy Corps Finance Department is responsible for all financial functions, including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial management and compliance. The Mercy Corps Finance Department ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures. In its role as a support to the Program Department, the Finance Department provides timely reports and assistance to the Country Director and the Program team to ensure that financial and finance linked resources are utilized efficiently and effectively.
Working in the finance unit, under the direction of the Field Finance Manager, the Field Finance Coordinator will be responsible on the day-to-day routine tasks of the Field Finance and MIS supervision role as well as monthly, quarterly, and annual reporting. She/he is expected to produce reliable, accurate and timely financial report/information for all stakeholders involved. The post holder should be forward looking, self-driven, operating under minimum supervision, and a critical thinker in a senior management role. Furthermore, considering the various expected systemic changes in future, the post holder should be forward looking, change oriented and able to develop/train the team capacity in the changing environment.
. This job requires 20% travel to the project sites directly managed by Mercy Corps as well as by sub grantees. The two main objectives of the travel are 1) Capacity Building 2) Compliance and Monitoring (internal audit nature) of donor rules as well as MC internal policies and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure that field/area level-based budget holders are familiar with the detailed Mercy Corps internal policies and procedures and ensure the implementation.
- Assist the Field Finance Manager in monitoring the implementation of internal audit recommendations and ensure that all the required recommendations are implemented consistently.
- Ensure that host government compliance rules, such tax, pension, provident fund, VAT, and other similar items are consistently implemented and assist the area finance officers in the implementation of this regulation.
- Make periodic review of all compliance matters for the field offices and present key issues in the monthly finance team meeting.
- For the number of area offices assigned to Field Finance Coordinator, ensure that all payment documents are having the relevant checklist which ensures attention to detail and the checklist is signed off by the appropriate finance officers and support service officers.
- Ensure that all monthly financial diaries are kept to an adequate standard, and we are meeting the set deadline. Flag any deviations or difficult circumstances ahead of time.
- Ensure that all the Navigator GL register vouchers from the Area based Finance Officers [for which the role is assigned to cover certain number of area offices] are accurately coded, the supporting documents (invoice, receipts, and etc) are sufficient, in line with MC internal control procedures, donor requirements and satisfactorily presented.
- Support the Field Finance Manager in all of A-133 audit requirements, external statutory audit and donor audit need.
- Based on the Authority Matrix, ensure that all financial reviews to be done by the Field Finance Coordinator have been executed to the standard level.
- Perform regular review of documents and post transactions in the Navigator finance system.
- Closely work with the Field Finance Manager and Accounting and Reporting Manager that all balance sheet reconciliation is performed every month/quarter and present very analytical report what makes up the balance sheet figures.
- Regular review and posting journals for area offices assigned to Field Finance Coordinator.
- As required, with the consultation of the Field Finance Manager, support any internal and external audit works by providing filtered system information.
- Ensure/guide that all Filed connect system users are using the right re-class batch and reference number for all current or prior period adjusting entries.
- Develop the capacity of the team, deepen understanding of their roles and assist with career development.
- Assist team members with information, tools and resources to improve performance & reach objectives.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback informally and formally via regular one on ones and performance reviews.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Hire, orient and lead team members as necessary.
- Interface with the (donor) representatives to convey information about programs as appropriate.
- Participate in sharing best practices with NGOs and governmental agencies.
- Consistently demonstrate flexibility, resilience and ability to maintain positive relationships and composure, even under difficult circumstances.
- Maintain high ethical standards and treat people with respect and dignity.
- Demonstrate an awareness of his/her own strengths and development needs.
- First Degree or preferably Master’s degree in business administration, Accounting, Finance or related discipline. Compensating Education + Experience can be considered.
- Five years and more progressive experience in the non-profit organization and mainly experience gained in the INGO is required.
- Mandatory experience in managing USAID ,EU, UN & SIDA grants at least for two consecutive years
- Demonstrated competency with computerized general ledger software
- Advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly in Excel
- strong organizational skills
- Prior grant management experience will be a plus
- Excellent oral and written English skills.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants can send their applications and a copy of non returnable CV with the necessary documents to the following link below
- This job has expired!
New Job Alert
Never miss a chance!
Let us know your job expectations, so we can find you jobs better!
- Accounting (53)
- Accounting and Finance (25)
- Agri-Economics (7)
- Agriculture (6)
- Anesthesia (2)
- Animal science (1)
- Anthropology (1)
- Architecture (2)
- Auto Electrician (6)
- Auto Mechanics (7)
- Automotive Technology (6)
- Banking and Finance (2)
- Behavioral Sciences (1)
- Biochemistry (1)
- Biomedical Engineering (1)
- Building Construction (6)
- Business Management (75)
- Chemical Engineering (1)
- Chemistry (1)
- Civil Engineering (15)
- Communication (6)
- Complete of Secondary School Education (24)
- Computer Science (20)
- Construction Management (9)
- Construction Technology Management (13)
- Crop Science (1)
- Degree in any field (4)
- Development Studies (6)
- Disaster Management (3)
- Drafting (2)
- Driving (18)
- Economic Sciences (1)
- Economics (33)
- Education (4)
- Educational Planning (1)
- Electrical Engineering (12)
- Electricity (4)
- Electro Mechanical Engineering (3)
- Engineering (11)
- English (1)
- Environment Sciences (2)
- Environmental Health Sciences (4)
- Food Science (2)
- Gender (1)
- Gender Studies (2)
- Global/International Health (2)
- Health (11)
- Health Education (4)
- Health Information Management (1)
- Health/Nutrition (10)
- Human Resource Management (15)
- Industrial Engineering (3)
- Information Management (17)
- Information Systems (17)
- Information Technology (2)
- International Affairs (4)
- International Development (8)
- International Human Rights Law (2)
- International Humanitarian Law (2)
- International Relations (4)
- IT and Telecom (25)
- Journalism (6)
- Language (1)
- Law (13)
- Library (1)
- Literature (2)
- Logistics and Supply Management (35)
- Management (78)
- Manufacturing (3)
- Marketing (34)
- Master or Degree any Fields (1)
- Mechanical Engineering (6)
- Natural Resource Management (1)
- Natural Science (1)
- NGO (75)
- Nursing (3)
- Office Management (3)
- Pediatric Radiologist (1)
- Petroleum Engineering (1)
- Pharmaceutical Studies (6)
- Plant Science (3)
- Political Science (3)
- Procurement & Supply Management (18)
- Project Management (2)
- Psychology (3)
- Public Administration (5)
- Public Financial Management (1)
- Public Health (8)
- Public Relations (2)
- Road Construction (2)
- Rural Development (1)
- Secretarial Science (10)
- Social Development (1)
- Social Science (20)
- Social Work (1)
- Sociology (2)
- Software Engineering (6)
- Statistics (6)
- Supply Chain (14)
- Surveyor (1)
- Textile Engineering (1)
- Urban Planning and Development (1)