Purpose of the Job
ECA’s mission is to deliver ideas and actions for an empowered and transformed Africa; informed by the 2030 Agenda and Agenda 2063.
The mission is guided by ECA’s five strategic directions which are: advancing ECA’s position as a premier knowledge institution that builds on its unique position and privilege to bring global solutions to the continent’s problems and take local solutions to the continent; developing macroeconomic and structural policy options to accelerate economic
diversification and job creation; designing and implementing innovative financing models for infrastructure, and for human, physical and social assets for a transforming Africa; contributing solutions to regional and transboundary challenges, with a focus on peace security and social inclusion as an important development nexus; advocating Africa’s position at the global level and developing regional responses as a contribution to global governance
The position is located in the Division of Administration, United Nations Health Care Center, at the UN Economic Commission for Africa, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The incumbent will report to the Chief Medical Officer or designated Official.
Duties and responsibilities
- Develops and maintains a system for ongoing inspections of drug safety in UNHCC.
Offers day-to-day advice on pharmaceutical issues including evaluating different antibiotics for impact on the local microbiological situation.
- Secures the proper usage of Antibiotics to prevent unnecessary influence on the ecological balance.
- Dispenses medicines and supplies prescribed by physicians and dentists.
- Providing accurate instructions regarding dosage, administration, and possible side effects to the beneficiaries (patients or care givers).
- Substitutes, as appropriate, comparable drugs with trade names after informing the prescribing physician.
- Regularly informs Prescribing Physicians on the stock availability and maintains an inventory system for timely procurement of medications/supplies and avoid shortages.
- Responds to inquiries regarding content, dosages regimen review, storage and disposal. -Monitor drug interactions, allergies, and contraindications.
- Maintains stringent handling and recording of narcotics and affiliated drugs.
- Ensures continuous supply of antiretroviral drugs. -Notify physicians and the Chief Pharmacist about drugs with short shelf life.
- Maintains supplies and ensures security of drugs in treatment room, night emergency, and ICU cabinet. -Inspects facilities where medications are kept such as the ICU cabins, treatment room, mobile emergency box and ambulance.
- Provides the necessary information, enters data and updates it daily and creates requisitions in Umoja.
- Organizes the Category of Drugs following the pharmacological classification and the pharmaceutical forms.
- Creates database for suppliers both locally and internationally and ensures that they are registered in the global market system.
- Produces a report on consumption, availability, patient history and transfer for each category.
- Handles the electronic pharmacy inventory system and other expense entry system
- Submits a complete expense entry report every month.
- Obtains technical clearance from UNMSS for pharmaceuticals and medical supplies in time to process requisitions
- Advises the medical team and works with the chief pharmacist in the specification of drugs to be requisitioned and offering a prudent scale of issue for the planning of re-supply for the upcoming year.
- Updates the medical team on new developments in production, interaction, eventual withdrawal of drugs and reagents from the market.
- Disposes expired drugs according to relevant rules with concerned Units and documents this.
- Follows up on and recommends WHO guidelines on malaria prophylaxis and other travel related supplies.
- Monitors stock of drugs, chemical reagents, and supplies; and keeps an accurate balance and informs the chief pharmacist regularly.
- Provides technical assistance to medical team respecting always confidentiality.
- Compiles the requisitions from each Unit, Dental, Laboratory, treatment, Radiology, Fever clinic & UN Clinics (Dollo ado, Gambella, Shire & Mekelle) for the preparation of the annual budget.
- Conducts stringent annual inventory of drugs and medical supplies. Participates in preparation of the annual supply chain planning using the planning tool.
- Prepares annual budget for medicines and supplies,
- Assists with the collection and analysis of data as well as preparation of data presentations and reports for information sharing, responding to queries, knowledge management, planning and decision making.
- Assists with visualizations and updating information material such as web pages or brochures.
- High school diploma and diploma in Pharmaceutical Studies of equivalent is required. National registration is required. First level University degree in Pharmaceutical Science is an advantage.
- A minimum of ten (7) years of progressive working experience as a Pharmacist is required. The minimum years of relevant experience is reduced to five (5) year for candidates who possess a first-level university degree or higher.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of French is desirable.
- Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants can send their applications and a copy of non returnable CV with the necessary documents to the following link below
- This job has expired!
New Job Alert
Never miss a chance!
Let us know your job expectations, so we can find you jobs better!
- Accounting (53)
- Accounting and Finance (25)
- Agri-Economics (7)
- Agriculture (6)
- Anesthesia (2)
- Animal science (1)
- Anthropology (1)
- Architecture (2)
- Auto Electrician (6)
- Auto Mechanics (7)
- Automotive Technology (6)
- Banking and Finance (2)
- Behavioral Sciences (1)
- Biochemistry (1)
- Biomedical Engineering (1)
- Building Construction (6)
- Business Management (75)
- Chemical Engineering (1)
- Chemistry (1)
- Civil Engineering (15)
- Communication (6)
- Complete of Secondary School Education (24)
- Computer Science (20)
- Construction Management (9)
- Construction Technology Management (13)
- Crop Science (1)
- Degree in any field (4)
- Development Studies (6)
- Disaster Management (3)
- Drafting (2)
- Driving (18)
- Economic Sciences (1)
- Economics (33)
- Education (4)
- Educational Planning (1)
- Electrical Engineering (12)
- Electricity (4)
- Electro Mechanical Engineering (3)
- Engineering (11)
- English (1)
- Environment Sciences (2)
- Environmental Health Sciences (4)
- Food Science (2)
- Gender (1)
- Gender Studies (2)
- Global/International Health (2)
- Health (11)
- Health Education (4)
- Health Information Management (1)
- Health/Nutrition (10)
- Human Resource Management (15)
- Industrial Engineering (3)
- Information Management (17)
- Information Systems (17)
- Information Technology (2)
- International Affairs (4)
- International Development (8)
- International Human Rights Law (2)
- International Humanitarian Law (2)
- International Relations (4)
- IT and Telecom (25)
- Journalism (6)
- Language (1)
- Law (13)
- Library (1)
- Literature (2)
- Logistics and Supply Management (35)
- Management (78)
- Manufacturing (3)
- Marketing (34)
- Master or Degree any Fields (1)
- Mechanical Engineering (6)
- Natural Resource Management (1)
- Natural Science (1)
- NGO (75)
- Nursing (3)
- Office Management (3)
- Pediatric Radiologist (1)
- Petroleum Engineering (1)
- Pharmaceutical Studies (6)
- Plant Science (3)
- Political Science (3)
- Procurement & Supply Management (18)
- Project Management (2)
- Psychology (3)
- Public Administration (5)
- Public Financial Management (1)
- Public Health (8)
- Public Relations (2)
- Road Construction (2)
- Rural Development (1)
- Secretarial Science (10)
- Social Development (1)
- Social Science (20)
- Social Work (1)
- Sociology (2)
- Software Engineering (6)
- Statistics (6)
- Supply Chain (14)
- Surveyor (1)
- Textile Engineering (1)
- Urban Planning and Development (1)