About the Organization
The mission is guided by ECA’s five new strategic directions which are: advancing ECA’s
position as a premier knowledge institution that builds on its unique position and privilege to
bring global solutions to the continent’s problems and take local solutions to the continent;
developing macroeconomic and structural policy options to accelerate economic
diversification and job creation; designing and implementing innovative financing models for
infrastructure, and for human, physical and social assets for a transforming Africa;
contributing solutions to regional and transboundary challenges, with a focus on peace
security and social inclusion as an important development nexus; advocating Africa’s position
at the global level and developing regional responses as a contribution to global governance
The African Centre for Statistics (ACS) is headed by a Director and reports to the Deputy
Executive Secretary (Programme). The Centre is responsible for improving production,
dissemination and use of quality data and comparable data and statistics in Africa to support
evidence-based policymaking, planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting under the
2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and Agenda 2063 The Africa We Want. It is
divided into four main sections: Economic, Infrastructure and Agriculture Statistics;
Demographic and Social Statistics; Statistical Development, Data Innovation and Outreach;
and Geospatial Information Management Systems.
Purpose of the Job
This position is located in the Economic, Infrastructure and Agriculture Statistics Section of the African Centre for Statistics in the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (ECA). The incumbent of the position works under the overall guidance of the Director, of the African Centre for Statistics, and the direct supervision of the Chief of the Economic, Infrastructure and Agriculture Statistics Section.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Plans, develops and advises on conceptual and practical methodological work to assist countries in the implementation of the System of National Accounts (SNA).
- Conducts analytical programmes of work in relevant areas of economic statistics including satellite accounts, natural capital accounts and use of administrative, Big data and data science potentials.
- Ensures the quality of collected data for accuracy, consistency and comparability.
- Initiates and coordinates the development of appropriate methods for obtaining relevant
- Ensure the quality of collected data for accuracy, consistency, and comparability.
- Supervises and contributes to the development of relevant databases, web-publishing tools and other software for the collection, storage, and distribution of statistical data.
- Undertakes methodological research concerning standards on concepts, definitions and classifications of the SNA for regular updates of the System (i.e., classifications, interpretations, or changes) to assist countries and other constituents in strengthening their statistical development.
- Develops new or improved statistical methods and quantitative models for analyses and projections.
- Plans and coordinates seminars, workshops, expert meetings, etc.
- Plans, organizes, manages, and supervises the work of the section assigned as well as liaising with other sections in the African Centre for Statistics and other ECA divisions.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- An advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in statistics, mathematics, economics, sociology, or related field is required. A first-level university degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent) in the specified fields of studies with two additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in the collection, compilation, analysis, and dissemination of statistical data or related areas is required.
- Experience in participating in the implementation and updating programme and activities of the System of National Accounts (SNA) is required.
- Experience in developing statistical and analytical methods and models for the evaluation and application of data on economic statistics, national accounts, and socio-economic policies is desirable.
- Experience in providing technical guidance and advice and delivering a statistical capacity-building programme through workshops, seminars, and meetings is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English or French is required; knowledge of the other is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage
- Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by a competency-based interview.
How to Apply
Applicants who meet the above requirements listed can Apply on the link below
- This job has expired!
New Job Alert
Never miss a chance!
Let us know your job expectations, so we can find you jobs better!
- Accounting (53)
- Accounting and Finance (25)
- Agri-Economics (7)
- Agriculture (6)
- Anesthesia (2)
- Animal science (1)
- Anthropology (1)
- Architecture (2)
- Auto Electrician (6)
- Auto Mechanics (7)
- Automotive Technology (6)
- Banking and Finance (2)
- Behavioral Sciences (1)
- Biochemistry (1)
- Biomedical Engineering (1)
- Building Construction (6)
- Business Management (75)
- Chemical Engineering (1)
- Chemistry (1)
- Civil Engineering (15)
- Communication (6)
- Complete of Secondary School Education (24)
- Computer Science (20)
- Construction Management (9)
- Construction Technology Management (13)
- Crop Science (1)
- Degree in any field (4)
- Development Studies (6)
- Disaster Management (3)
- Drafting (2)
- Driving (18)
- Economic Sciences (1)
- Economics (33)
- Education (4)
- Educational Planning (1)
- Electrical Engineering (12)
- Electricity (4)
- Electro Mechanical Engineering (3)
- Engineering (11)
- English (1)
- Environment Sciences (2)
- Environmental Health Sciences (4)
- Food Science (2)
- Gender (1)
- Gender Studies (2)
- Global/International Health (2)
- Health (11)
- Health Education (4)
- Health Information Management (1)
- Health/Nutrition (10)
- Human Resource Management (15)
- Industrial Engineering (3)
- Information Management (17)
- Information Systems (17)
- Information Technology (2)
- International Affairs (4)
- International Development (8)
- International Human Rights Law (2)
- International Humanitarian Law (2)
- International Relations (4)
- IT and Telecom (25)
- Journalism (6)
- Language (1)
- Law (13)
- Library (1)
- Literature (2)
- Logistics and Supply Management (35)
- Management (78)
- Manufacturing (3)
- Marketing (34)
- Master or Degree any Fields (1)
- Mechanical Engineering (6)
- Natural Resource Management (1)
- Natural Science (1)
- NGO (75)
- Nursing (3)
- Office Management (3)
- Pediatric Radiologist (1)
- Petroleum Engineering (1)
- Pharmaceutical Studies (6)
- Plant Science (3)
- Political Science (3)
- Procurement & Supply Management (18)
- Project Management (2)
- Psychology (3)
- Public Administration (5)
- Public Financial Management (1)
- Public Health (8)
- Public Relations (2)
- Road Construction (2)
- Rural Development (1)
- Secretarial Science (10)
- Social Development (1)
- Social Science (20)
- Social Work (1)
- Sociology (2)
- Software Engineering (6)
- Statistics (6)
- Supply Chain (14)
- Surveyor (1)
- Textile Engineering (1)
- Urban Planning and Development (1)