CARE is an international NGO with local staff and community partners in more than 90 countries. We create local solutions to poverty and inequality, and we seek dignity for everyone every day and during times of crisis. These solutions have a broad range, from clean water to access to education; from microfinance to ensuring that everyone has nutritious food; from agriculture and climate change to disaster response. CARE puts women and girls at the center of everything we do because they have proven to be the best hope for creating lasting change in the world. Our staff live where they work, which makes us effective at understanding the challenges they face. We’ve been doing this for over 70 years since World War II. It started with the world’s first CARE Package® of food for post-war hunger in Europe. Our work today is as important as ever, we believe that poverty and inequality are historic injustices that we can end within a generation, for good. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us.
The position of Gender, Safeguarding and Protection Technical Advisor coordinates and advocates for the implementation of gender, Safeguarding and Protection programming in JEOP operational areas in accordance with international humanitarian standards, CARE International program principles and CARE Ethiopia’s mission and strategic directions. In addition, the Gender, Safeguarding and Protection Technical Advisor ensures that JEOP programming is addressing our response to gender-based violence (GBV). The Gender, Safeguarding and Protection Advisor shall work closely with all JEOP team at HO and FOs to create coordination and harmonization of CARE’s humanitarian response. S/he will be building the capacity of JEOP staff and partners for effective gender program design and implementation, oversee the mainstreaming of gender, safeguarding and protection in JEOP program, and liaise with relevant internal and external actors.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Lead the development and implementation of evidence-based, realistic and effective gender and women empowerment’s strategies for JEOP programming;
- Input into problem identification, causal and problem analysis and activity development, i.e. focusing on gender analysis and women and girl’s empowerment, and combatting gender-based violence.
- Participate in workshops, annual reviews, etc. to ensure gender-responsive planning processes are implemented in the program;
- Ensure that log frames, results frameworks, etc. have properly embraced gender-sensitive and responsive indicators in the areas of women’s empowerment and gender equality indicators, e.g., access to resources, control, leadership status within community, etc.;
- Respond to the results of research and regular monitoring with effective measures that can be implemented to produce results in gender-related programming for JEOP program;
- Oversee the mainstreaming of all gender-related aspects of programming, participates in all Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning events, and responds to identified issues and recommend timely adjustments to implementation strategies.
- Periodically monitor progress and bottlenecks in implementing gender programming and initiate ways forward/solutions in consultation with the project technical staff and managers.
- Periodically conduct gender analysis and assessment on impact of CARE’s humanitarian programming in economic and social empowerment of project beneficiaries;
- Support the collection and analysis of sex- and age- disaggregated data;
- Monitor project activities through a gender lens and provide support to ensure improvements are made continuously in the program.
- Implement and monitor safeguarding and protection activities in-line with the CARE safeguarding policy and international standards into the JEOP program.
- Provide technical assistance, accompaniment and mentoring to project staff on safeguarding approaches, system, and tools.
- Participate in different safeguarding and protection assessments to better ensure safeguarding and protection concerns in JEOP.
- Support the JEOP project in strengthening and managing feedback and response mechanism for protection issues.
- Supporting the development of standard Operating Procedures that outline the process for escalating sensitive reports that pertain to safeguarding and protection issues.
- Collaborate with safeguarding and protection team in designing IEC and training materials on safeguarding and protection.
- Develop TORs and reports for different safeguarding and protection activities as may be required.
- Work together with safeguarding and protection team to ensure protection mainstreaming in the operation area.
- Collect information on staff capacity needs on safeguarding and monitor capacity building activities.
- Participate in different safeguarding and protection meetings and networks representing
- Conduct induction/orientation, training, and capacity building of staff on Safeguarding including Sexual Exploitation, Harassment and Abuse, GBV and protection mainstreaming.
- Conduct mapping of existing service providers on JEOP operational areas and, through focus group, provide an update on existing services and their accessibility for people with specific protection needs.
- In collaboration with the Humanitarian Gender and Protection Program Manager, organize capacity building sessions for community members and community leaders on protection topics.
- Report daily protection situation to the Gender and Protection Manager
- Ensure ethical and confidential data collection during case management, monitoring, and evaluation.
- Monitor the progress of the program and identify any delays that have been or may be expected.
- Closely work with JEOP consortium lead and members in the area of gender, safeguarding and protection mainstreaming in the JEOP program
- Liaise and guide the coordination and harmonization of gender strategies, approach, and methodology for the CARE Ethiopia humanitarian programming.
- Support inter-departmental synergy between the emergency unit and other units, programs, and projects, coordinating regularly with other CARE Gender Advisors.
- Develop linkages and working relationship with Federal, Regional and District-level Women’s Affairs department to generate support for CARE’s humanitarian programming.
- Build strategic alliances with other key actors internally and externally to advocate for gender-sensitive programming.
- Represent CARE Ethiopia in external and internal platforms.
- BA Degree/ master’s degree in gender studies, social sciences, development studies or related disciplines along with substantial work experience on gender equality and women empowerment programs in emergency context.
- A minimum of five years in first degree and four years or plus post graduate degree of demonstrated experiences in humanitarian programming with good understanding of principles of gender equality, women’s empowerment, gender analysis, gender mainstreaming, adult learning, and training of trainer’s methodologies.
- Knowledge of humanitarian gender tools like the IASC Gender handbook, HAP, SPHERE;
- Proven experience in delivering training on gender-responsive programing.
- Strong skills in gender analysis.
- Training, facilitation, and capacity building skills.
- Knowledge and understanding of humanitarian programming.
- Quantitative and qualitative data analysis skills.
- Proficiency in office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Ability to work independently and as a team.
- Strong interpersonal communication skill and ability to effectively liaise with a wide range of constituencies.
- Integrity: Works with trustworthiness and integrity and has a clear commitment to CARE’s core values and humanitarian principles.
- Ability to work and live with a flexible, adaptable, and resilient manner.
- Sensitivity to different aspects of diversity (ethnicity, cultural, religion, disability).
- Well, planned and organized and has a capacity for initiative and decision making with competent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of CARE policies and procedures.
- Fluency in English and Amharic.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants can send their applications and a copy of non returnable CV with the necessary documents to the following Link below
- This job has expired!
New Job Alert
Never miss a chance!
Let us know your job expectations, so we can find you jobs better!
- Accounting (53)
- Accounting and Finance (25)
- Agri-Economics (7)
- Agriculture (6)
- Anesthesia (2)
- Animal science (1)
- Anthropology (1)
- Architecture (2)
- Auto Electrician (6)
- Auto Mechanics (7)
- Automotive Technology (6)
- Banking and Finance (2)
- Behavioral Sciences (1)
- Biochemistry (1)
- Biomedical Engineering (1)
- Building Construction (6)
- Business Management (75)
- Chemical Engineering (1)
- Chemistry (1)
- Civil Engineering (15)
- Communication (6)
- Complete of Secondary School Education (24)
- Computer Science (20)
- Construction Management (9)
- Construction Technology Management (13)
- Crop Science (1)
- Degree in any field (4)
- Development Studies (6)
- Disaster Management (3)
- Drafting (2)
- Driving (18)
- Economic Sciences (1)
- Economics (33)
- Education (4)
- Educational Planning (1)
- Electrical Engineering (12)
- Electricity (4)
- Electro Mechanical Engineering (3)
- Engineering (11)
- English (1)
- Environment Sciences (2)
- Environmental Health Sciences (4)
- Food Science (2)
- Gender (1)
- Gender Studies (2)
- Global/International Health (2)
- Health (11)
- Health Education (4)
- Health Information Management (1)
- Health/Nutrition (10)
- Human Resource Management (15)
- Industrial Engineering (3)
- Information Management (17)
- Information Systems (17)
- Information Technology (2)
- International Affairs (4)
- International Development (8)
- International Human Rights Law (2)
- International Humanitarian Law (2)
- International Relations (4)
- IT and Telecom (25)
- Journalism (6)
- Language (1)
- Law (13)
- Library (1)
- Literature (2)
- Logistics and Supply Management (35)
- Management (78)
- Manufacturing (3)
- Marketing (34)
- Master or Degree any Fields (1)
- Mechanical Engineering (6)
- Natural Resource Management (1)
- Natural Science (1)
- NGO (75)
- Nursing (3)
- Office Management (3)
- Pediatric Radiologist (1)
- Petroleum Engineering (1)
- Pharmaceutical Studies (6)
- Plant Science (3)
- Political Science (3)
- Procurement & Supply Management (18)
- Project Management (2)
- Psychology (3)
- Public Administration (5)
- Public Financial Management (1)
- Public Health (8)
- Public Relations (2)
- Road Construction (2)
- Rural Development (1)
- Secretarial Science (10)
- Social Development (1)
- Social Science (20)
- Social Work (1)
- Sociology (2)
- Software Engineering (6)
- Statistics (6)
- Supply Chain (14)
- Surveyor (1)
- Textile Engineering (1)
- Urban Planning and Development (1)