About British Embassy
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Main purpose of the job
The post holder will support the United Kingdom Health Security Agency (UKHSA) International Health Regulations (IHR) Strengthening Project in Ethiopia. The IHR Strengthening Project (IHR-SP) aims to improve global health security through increasing compliance with the IHR in selected countries and regions in Africa and Asia, taking an all-hazards approach. A key element of the IHR relates to chemical hazards and public health – known as “chemical events”.
Working with the UKHSA IHR Project Senior Health Advisor; the Project Chemical team of UKHSA; and the wider Project team, the post holder will play a crucial role in building and maintaining relationships, coordinating and delivering Chemical hazards and public health priorities bilaterally with partners, including the Ministry of Health and the Ethiopia Public Health Institute, and multi-laterally with Africa CDC.
The post holder will require experience in undertaking assessments of likely risks associated with chemical hazards and public health, as well as experience of preparedness, surveillance and response activities for the public health management of incidents involving chemicals.
The post-holder will provide key in-country situational awareness for the UK based Chemical Project teams and pro-active and reactive day to day project delivery. Ensuring the maintenance of key stakeholder relationships and providing in-person representation at relevant meetings, workshops, or ad-hoc events.
Diplomatic skills and cultural awareness are critical, as engaging with a range of stakehodlers, such as senior leadership, ministers, senior government officials and other technical, donor or development agency representatives will be critical to the role. We are seeking individuals with both technical knowledge and international relations capability, able to demonstrate both UKHSA and Civil Services Competencies and ways of working. Key to this is the ability to influence and negotiate to manage key relationships with local and other international stakeholders.
This post offers an excellent opportunity to gain experience of working in a fast paced and innovative environment and is an ideal chance for someone looking to advance their career in Public Health project coordination. The ideal candidate must have a flexible approach to meet the needs of the service, be able to work to tight deadlines and manage multiple workstreams and priorities at the same time. This post will be based in Addis Ababa with some travel to other areas of Ethiopia. Occasional international travel (e.g. to other countries in the sub region, or to the UK) may be required.
Roles and responsibilities
- Maintain key stakeholder relationships
- Provide in-person representation for relevant meetings, workshops, or ad-hoc events
- Provide technical input to the design, delivery, monitoring, and evaluation of activities to strengthen chemical preparedness, surveillance, response and recovery capability in Ethiopia, this may include, but is not limited to:
- Supporting the National CBRN Technical Working Group, chaired by the Ethiopia Public Health Institute and relevant tasks
- Exploring the opportunities for embedding an Environmental Epidemiology module into the Field Epidemiology Training Programme (FETP)
- Supporting Ministry of Health with progressing their Roadmap for the establishment of a poisons service.
- Supporting the development, testing, and validation of chemicals management policies, plans, and SOPs
- Other tasks that contribute to IHR strengthening in line with the Ethiopia National Action Plan for Health Security (NAPHS) and other relevant indicators including the WHO Benchmarking and State Party Self-Assessment Annual Reporting Tool
- Explore needs and opportunities for capacity building for chemical hazards with Africa CDC
- Represent UKHSA at RCE related meetings and workshops
- Identify specific areas of cooperation and collaboration
- Deliver sensitisation webinars on chemical events and detection for chemical hazards and public health
- To manage small projects and aspects of larger projects in a particular defined area, and to work within a project team under the guidance of more senior staff. This includes managing own time, other relevant resources, and liaising with stakeholders and other members of staff working on the project to ensure the timely and successful completion of the work.
- To be able to receive and assimilate technical and scientific information relating to chemicals.
- To prepare methodology documents, project reports and papers and sections of complex reports, including incorporating material prepared by others.
- Maintain key in-country situational awareness and keep UK based RCE team informed of relevant activity and opportunities.
- Degree qualification in a science subject related to environmental public health or equivalent experience
- Post graduate qualification or equivalent experience in the field of environmental, public health or chemicals related subject
- Familiarity with public health and environmental issues
- Experience in chemical related public health risk assessment
- Familiarity with global aspects of chemical safety and the sound management of chemicals
- Demonstrable experience of good stakeholder management and working with government departments and agencies
- Experience of delivering presentations, training and interactive workshops
- Understanding of and demonstrable experience of applying monitoring and evaluation principles to project delivery
- Understanding of national and international partners relating to managing chemical hazards in Ethiopia and Africa.
- An understanding of and commitment to equality of opportunity and good working relationships.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills on complex matters, often requiring persuasion and influence.
- Ability to analyse and interpret information and recommend appropriate actions.
- Ability to work on own initiative and organise own workload without supervision working to tight and often changing timescales.
- Adaptability, flexibility and ability to cope with uncertainty and change.
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- Qualification or equivalent experience in the field of environmental public health or related discipline.
- Previous experience in similar role in public sector or with bilateral/multilateral organisations.
- Understanding of UKHSA.
- Must be able to legally work in Ethiopia
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted
- The British Embassy will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position
- Employees recruited locally by the British Embassy in Addis Ababa are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Ethiopia
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to;
Obtain the relevant permit
Pay the fees for the permit
Make arrangements to relocate
Meet the costs to relocation
- Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary may have their salaries reduced by the equivalent local income tax amount
- Information about the Civil Service Success Profiles can be found on this link:
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates
- Appointable candidates who were unsuccessful may be placed on a reserve list. If during the reserve period of 6/12 months the same or a largely similar role becomes available, that role may be offered to the second or subsequent candidate
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants can send their applications and a copy of non returnable CV with the necessary documents to the following link below
- This job has expired!
New Job Alert
Never miss a chance!
Let us know your job expectations, so we can find you jobs better!
- Accounting (53)
- Accounting and Finance (25)
- Agri-Economics (7)
- Agriculture (6)
- Anesthesia (2)
- Animal science (1)
- Anthropology (1)
- Architecture (2)
- Auto Electrician (6)
- Auto Mechanics (7)
- Automotive Technology (6)
- Banking and Finance (2)
- Behavioral Sciences (1)
- Biochemistry (1)
- Biomedical Engineering (1)
- Building Construction (6)
- Business Management (75)
- Chemical Engineering (1)
- Chemistry (1)
- Civil Engineering (15)
- Communication (6)
- Complete of Secondary School Education (24)
- Computer Science (20)
- Construction Management (9)
- Construction Technology Management (13)
- Crop Science (1)
- Degree in any field (4)
- Development Studies (6)
- Disaster Management (3)
- Drafting (2)
- Driving (18)
- Economic Sciences (1)
- Economics (33)
- Education (4)
- Educational Planning (1)
- Electrical Engineering (12)
- Electricity (4)
- Electro Mechanical Engineering (3)
- Engineering (11)
- English (1)
- Environment Sciences (2)
- Environmental Health Sciences (4)
- Food Science (2)
- Gender (1)
- Gender Studies (2)
- Global/International Health (2)
- Health (11)
- Health Education (4)
- Health Information Management (1)
- Health/Nutrition (10)
- Human Resource Management (15)
- Industrial Engineering (3)
- Information Management (17)
- Information Systems (17)
- Information Technology (2)
- International Affairs (4)
- International Development (8)
- International Human Rights Law (2)
- International Humanitarian Law (2)
- International Relations (4)
- IT and Telecom (25)
- Journalism (6)
- Language (1)
- Law (13)
- Library (1)
- Literature (2)
- Logistics and Supply Management (35)
- Management (78)
- Manufacturing (3)
- Marketing (34)
- Master or Degree any Fields (1)
- Mechanical Engineering (6)
- Natural Resource Management (1)
- Natural Science (1)
- NGO (75)
- Nursing (3)
- Office Management (3)
- Pediatric Radiologist (1)
- Petroleum Engineering (1)
- Pharmaceutical Studies (6)
- Plant Science (3)
- Political Science (3)
- Procurement & Supply Management (18)
- Project Management (2)
- Psychology (3)
- Public Administration (5)
- Public Financial Management (1)
- Public Health (8)
- Public Relations (2)
- Road Construction (2)
- Rural Development (1)
- Secretarial Science (10)
- Social Development (1)
- Social Science (20)
- Social Work (1)
- Sociology (2)
- Software Engineering (6)
- Statistics (6)
- Supply Chain (14)
- Surveyor (1)
- Textile Engineering (1)
- Urban Planning and Development (1)